It is no more news that automobile accidents occur every day and this pose a very serious threat to life and properties causing different types of disaster. Scientific procedures should be used in trying to prevent automobile accidents in the country. This scientific procedure involves;
Scientific procedures that should be followed after observation, hypothesis and experiments to prevent automobile accident should include;
1. Zebra crossings should be provided for pedestrians for safe road crossings at appropriate places.
2. Signals for road crossings should be provided at important and busy places where a large number of people have to cross the road every day.
3. Roads should be properly marked. Sign posts should be provided wherever required.
4. Humps should be provided at all important places, accident prone areas. Humps should be made mandatory for all sub roads where it enters a main road.
5. Construction, size and shape of the Humps should be scientific. All the Contractors of the Public Works and other departments should be provided with the details of scientific Hump construction.
6. Humps should be clearly marked, to avoid accidents. Methods of permanent nature should be followed in Hump marking. For example white marble pieces / white colour / fluorescent pigment can be used.
7. Provision of small pilot humps few meters before humps can also be considered to ensure that humps are not left unnoticed.
8. Obstructions on road sides caused by unauthorised construction and roadside sales should be eliminated completely.
9. Visibility should be increased near curvatures. Sometimes, even cutting of grass to increase visibility can help save many lives.
10. Road Safety Day / Road Safety Week should be observed in all Schools, every year. Competitions on Road Safety Tips, Slogans, Essays, and Paintings etc. should be conducted for students of various classes.
11. Time Punching of Private buses practiced in some regions should be discontinued as it is forcing the drivers to go at high speed, after traffic blocks.
12. Newspaper, Television and other media should be effectively used for Public Safety Awareness.
13. Major accidents and accident prone areas should be analysed scientifically.
14. Speed should be restricted at accident prone areas.
15. More stringent traffic rules should be enacted.
16. License of those who are involved in accidents should be suspended immediately; at least until they prove that they are not guilty.
17. License of those who make serious accidents should be cancelled immediately.
18. All the roads should be maintained properly. Permanent contracts or arrangements should be in place for maintaining all roads in good condition24 hours a day, 365 days an year. If a gutter is repaired in time it can save a life !!!
19. Health of vehicles should be strictly enforced.
20. Eyes of old aged driving license holders should be checked at regular intervals.
21. License of drunkard drivers and riders should be cancelled immediately.
22. Judicial Commissions should be setup to monitor steps taken to control road accidents and to monitor the accident rates on a weekly basis.
23. One way traffic should be implemented in all roads as far as possible. Roads should be widened wherever required. Curvatures should be minimised. Medians should be constructed in roads with two way traffic.
24. Footpaths and medians should be made mandatory for all important road sand for all new roads.
25. Most important method to bring down accidents is strict enforcement of speed limits.90 % of accidents can be avoided by strict enforcement of speed limits.
26. Heavy Penalty should be imposed on ALL those who cross speed limits. If this is strictly implemented; nobody will dare to go at high speed.
27. Existing speed limits should be brought down further.
28. Heavy penalty should be imposed for those who cause accidents.
29. Tamper proof speed controllers should be made mandatory for all heavy vehicles. New heavy vehicles should have built in tamper proof speed controllers.
30. Two wheeler manufacturers should be asked to design two wheelers with a designed maximum possible speed of (say) 50/60 kmph. This limit may be decided based on the conditions of each country.
31. New gadgets are to be developed for collision prevention and should be fitted on all vehicles. Research organizations should be asked to develop such gadgets on a war footing. For example, gadgets can be developed to automatically slow down the vehicle, if safe distance commensurate with the speed of the vehicle in front is not maintained. Gadgets can be developed for warning the driver, if the driver sleeps.
32. Diving tests for issue of Driving license is to be made more stringent and foolproof.
33. Lower age limit for two wheeler and Heavy Vehicle license should be raised to 21.
34. Helmet should be made compulsory by law in all countries, OR impose a lower speed limit for those who do not use helmet. Issue of Helmet should be made mandatory with the sale of each two wheeler.
35. Helmet should be made compulsory for back seat riders also.
36. Ensure that all Helmet users are fixing the Chinstrap of Helmet. Otherwise it will not help during an accident.
37. Ensure that ONLY good quality Helmets that meet standard specifications are available in the market.
38. Existing traffic rules should be strictly enforced.
39. Law should be modified such that the person who makes the accident has to bear (say) 0 to 10 % of the insurance claims, depending on severity of negligence. Also the compensations should be made very huge, making accidents unaffordable so that everyone will be very vigilant.
40. All those who do not maintain the safe distance for the speed should be punished.
41. Safety awareness should begin from childhood, as it is difficult to impart awareness to a grown up a human. If safety awareness is imparted at childhood, safety will be a habit.
42. Video and Computer games that simulate Motor Racing should be banned by Government OR discouraged by parents as it will develop racing habit in children.
43. All sorts of Motor sports, especially racing should be banned by government. Telecast of Motor Sports and Racing also should be banned.
44. Racing, over speed / highly risky riding, driving by Heroes should not be filmed in cinemas and TV serials. Children are likely to imitate the same. Statutory warning will not help. Government should censor such scenes.
45. Advertisements by automobile companies which include scenes of dangerous and risky riding or driving should be banned. Youngsters are likely to imitate the same. Statutory warnings will not help. Such ads will result in irreparable character formation regarding riding and driving in kids and children. Such children may make accidents in future.
46. Children below a certain age should not be permitted to do cycling in busy roads and in roads where heavy vehicles are plying.
47. Refreshment parlours should be made available at every 50 / 100 k.m. on all highways and important roads. Truck, Heavy vehicle drivers should be forced to refresh by having a face wash or by having a cup of tea or coffee.
48. The practice of keeping the traffic signals in standby mode during nights and on holidays is to be reviewed and discontinued.
49. Advertisement boards and other items that may obstruct visibility at junctions, curvatures and other parts of the roads should be removed immediately.
50. Ensure that the money recovered as Road Tax is fully utilised for the construction and maintenance of roads.